The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) is designed to assist people whose everyday lives are significantly affected by disabilities. It is devised to give people with disability control over the support that they need with the aim to living a better life. This ultimately means that they will be able to choose who provides the support that they need. Everyone with a disability will have access to NDIS, regardless of whether they currently receive support or not.
What are the types of support you will receive from NDIS?
NDIS will be providing a wide range of support types such as:
- Help travelling to and from school
- Help travelling to and from appointments
- Assistance in seeking employment
- Assistance in gaining access to new support devices such as hearing aids or a wheelchair
- Personal care and assistance.
- Specialist accommodation services
- The necessary support for people to remain in their own homes while still receiving the care they need
- The resources needed to learn new skills including cooking and support to meet individual needs.
When will NDIS be rolled out?
Announced two years ago, NDIS will be officially rolled out within the upcoming year. From 1 July 2016, those living in the following areas will be access to this scheme:
- Central Coast
- Hunter New England
- Nepean Blue Mountains
- Northern Sydney
- South Western Sydney
- Southern New South Wales
- Western Sydney
If you live in these districts, you will have access to NDIS from 1 July 2017:
- Far West
- Illawarra Shoalhaven
- Mid North Coast
- Northern New South Wales
- South Eastern Sydney
Under NDIS, approximately $6.4 billion will be spent annually in New South Wales on disability support, with 140,000 people receiving this support.
Care1 is a team of professional, yet kind and sensitive workers who provide support to disabled clients that have NDIS funding throughout NSW and the ACT. We carefully match each care worker to our clients and families to ensure that our clients are fully supported in every way – physically and emotionally.
If you would like to see how Care1 can help you, then please contact us today on 1300 422 731.